If you’re planning to buy a new mobility scooter or upgrade your current one, there might be a lot of options for you to choose from on the market.
Drive Medical is one of the most popular brands on the market that is known for making excellent mobility scooter models, such as the Spitfire 4-EXT Scout.
If you’re considering this model and want to know more about it, this article has got you covered! Read on if you want a brief Drive Medical Spitfire 4-EXT Scout Mobility Scooter review.
What You'll Learn...
Drive Medical Spitfire 4-EXT Scout Mobility Scooter Features
There are some essential considerations that you need to keep in mind while buying a reliable mobility scooter.
In the following sections, we’ll walk you through Drive Medical’s performance in each one of them!
- Powered Mobility Scooter: Enjoy enhanced maneuverability indoors as well as outdoors with comfort and ease using this easily steerable drive mobility scooter with seat and basket
- Comfortable Seating: Chair scooter features height-adjustable swivel mobility seat with fold-down backrest and adjustable padded armrests for comfort; large plastic carry mobility scooter basket provides easy storage
- Adjustable Scout Scooter: Flat-free and non-marking tires with anti-tip wheels along with easy-to-adjust any angle and height delta tiller, and ergonomic throttle control provide easy free wheel operation of the 4 wheel mobility scooter
- Rechargeable Mobility Aid: The Drive Medical scooter includes quick connect 20 AH battery and charger providing up to 15 miles autonomy; the battery indicator blinks when the electric mobility scooter needs to be recharged; motor: 24V x 270W x 4700 rpm
- Portable Mobility Scooters: Quick and easy disassembly of these folding mobility scooters makes them a great travel companion; the color-through color panels hide scuffs and scratches
Motor Power and Performance
The Drive Medical Spitfire 4-EXT comes with a 24-volt motor that has a total power of about 270 watts and produces 4,700 revolutions per minute.
This motor is capable of pushing the mobility scooter to a maximum speed of 4.25 miles per hour, which is a pretty high top speed for a mobility scooter.
The motor has a relatively low climbing angle of 6 degrees, which is good enough to help the scooter through minor speed bumps.
The mobility scooter also has electromagnetic brakes that stop the scooter efficiently and prevent motor wear.
Moreover, the scooter is equipped with an ergonomic throttle control that makes it easy to control the speed of the motor.
Size and Weight
The Drive Medical Spitfire 4-EXT is about 42.5 inches long and 21.5 inches wide. This makes it a pretty average-sized mobility scooter that is capable of fitting through most doorways and allows for decent maneuverability around smaller apartments.
The length of the Scout 4-EXT also makes it pretty stable on the ground.
As for the weight, the scooter weighs around 123 lbs in total and about 58 lbs without the battery.
Despite being on the heavier end of the scale, it can support up to 300 lbs of weight, making it ideal for those with larger builds.
The mobility scooter has removable parts that allow it to be quite portable. The heaviest removable part is the front, which is about 39 lbs.
The scooter is pretty easy to take apart in order to load into the back of your vehicle.
The Drive Medical Spitfire is equipped with four equal-sized wheels that are 2 inches thick and have a diameter of 8 inches.
The wheels, coupled with the long base of the scooter, allowing for a stable ride on relatively uneven terrain, although it’s recommended only for smooth ones.
The wheels leave no skid marks on the ground, but they have a pretty high turning radius of about 53.75 inches.
This means that it needs a little more space to turn than some other options on the market, which makes it more suitable for larger houses.
Seats and Comfort
The seat and the backrest on the mobility scooter are padded with soft foam for additional comfort on the ride, and the backseat is elevated so you can sit more comfortably.
The seat dimensions are about 16 x 16.5 inches, making it one of the largest options out there, so it can accommodate the user with comfort.
The scooter also has two padded armrests to rest your hand when you’re not operating the scooter.
The 4-EXT model has a 12-volt battery with a 20 amp-hour capacity, which allows the mobility scooter to run for a significantly long time without needing to stop for a recharge.
With such a capacity, the Spitfire Scout 4-EXT will reach up to 15 miles on a single charge, which is a huge upgrade from the standard Spitfire model that can only go for 9 miles.
The batteries only weigh around 20 lbs, so you can easily buy a spare battery pack and keep it on you to double the mileage of the scooter!
Price and Warranty
The Drive Medical Spitfire 4-EXT is surprisingly affordable for its features and performance, coming at a fraction of what other 15-mile high-speed mobility scooters would cost you.
Yet, it also comes with a lifetime warranty on the frame along with a five-year extended warranty that covers the scooter, including the batteries!
What We Like
- Comes at a fair price
- Comfortable seats with extended legroom
- Extended warranty option for added value
- Long battery range
- Features a front basket to store your belongings
- High top speed
What We Don’t Like
- Relatively high turning radius
- The tires are a bit small for the scooter’s size
- A bit heavy
Wrapping it Up
We hope that this guide has helped you make up your mind about the Drive Medical Spitfire 4-EXT Scout Mobility Scooter and whether it’s a suitable option for your needs.
Drive Medical is an excellent brand, and the Spitfire 4-EXT Scout Mobility Scooter lives up to the brand’s name.
The scooter’s extended warranty option and affordable price make it a huge bang for the buck, especially if you want a durable and comfortable mobility scooter with a long-lasting battery.